Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Law of Diminishing...Returns?

I don't know exactly what to call it.

I've been preaching for 7 or 8 years now, and every Sunday for about 4 years. I had noticed early on that, after finishing up on a Sunday morning, a certain kind of euphoria would set in for a time - perhaps for a good part of the rest of the day. Euphoria might be a strong word. It's sort of like a basking, a satisfaction in God's grace. It might even be partly sinful - sort of like, "Ah, look what I did." I'm not sure.

But lately, over the last year or so, I've noticed that this "euphoria" lasts less and less, to the point now that it almost doesn't exist at all. I lock the church doors Sunday around noon, and instead of enjoying the moment, I've already shifted to the next sermon - or the wedding message - or the next lecture - or the next lesson - or even the next meeting.

I'm not sure exactly what to make of this. It feels as though it's more and more draining, though. That much I know. I almost always, constantly feel the burden of that next message, hanging over my head. I want to say it's a good sort of pressure. But lately, less and less so, it seems.

Preaching is a great privilege. But what does one do when it begins to feel burdensome?

Pray for me, would you?

No comments: