Thursday, May 1, 2008

Emergents and the New Calvinists: An Online Conversation Between Collin Hansen and Tony Jones

It seems clear to me that the two most significant developments, or movements, in present day evangelicalism are what is referred to as the "emergent church" (Emergent Village) and this other thing Collin Hansen has coined the "Young, Restless, Reformed."

As for me, you ought to know that I would consider myself to be a Reformed Baptist. That is, I am baptistic in terms of church structure and heirarchy (ecclesiology) as well as in my views on baptism and communion, and I am "reformed" in my view of God's sovereignty in salvation (soteriology), holding to what is sometimes referred to as 'the doctrines of grace', or even 'TULIP'. I am also a young pastor (33), though not as young as some. In addition to all of this, I am somewhat restless about the state of the church, the state of the proclamation of the gospel in the church, biblical illiteracy, poor theology, and many more things.

So, given all of this, I could rightly be described as young, restless, and reformed. So I consider myself to be a part of the movement Collin Hansen describes in the above article and most recently in his new book, Young, Restless, Reformed: A Journalist's Journey with the New Calvinists.

Today, Christianity Today published (online) the first installment of an online conversation between Collin Hansen and Tony Jones - Jones being the head of Emergent Village. I suggest that you read this dialogue, and keep up with it in the coming days. I know that I will be. Link to it above, or here.

No comments: